I started running out of things to say just as the SARS-CoV2 spread in the US, and when the lockdown happened, I threw myself into recording a pair of cover albums. I wasn’t buying much music, nor listening to anyone other than myself. By the time I finished making the albums, stores were opening up, and my music buying eventually resumed.
But I still don’t have much to say.
That doesn’t mean I’ve run out of opinions. So here are my favorites of the year so far.
- Sam Sparro, Boombox Eternal
- Timo Andres / Brad Mehldau / Jeremy Denk / Randy Newman, I Still Play
- Perfume Genius, Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
- Jason Isbell and 400 Unit, Reunions
- The Streets, None of Us Are Getting Out of This Life Alive
- Fiona Apple, Fetch the Bolt Cutters
- … And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, X: The Godless Void and Other Stories
- The Chicks, Gaslighter
- Charlie Puth, Voicenotes
- Robyn, Body Talk
- Nakamori Akina, AKINA BOX 1982-1989
- Various Artists, Studio One Rockers
- The Damned, Machine Gun Etiquette
- Les Rythmes Digitales, Darkdancer
Tags: and you will know us by the trail of dead, brad mehldau, charlie puth, dixie chicks, favorite edition, fiona apple, jason isbell, jeremy denk, les rythmes digitales, nakamori akina, perfume genius, randy newman, robyn, sam sparro, the damned, the streets, timo andres, various artists