Favorite Edition Rewind: 2009
A decade ago, I wrote a series of entries ranking my favorite albums from 1985 to 2004. My collection has expanded greatly since then, particularly in the last five years. So I wanted to see what has changed in 10 years.
The 2009 list went through a revision, and subsequent discoveries from the year weren’t moving enough to dislodge anything.
- … And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, The Century of Self
- LEO Imai, LASER RAIN
- Van Tomiko, Van.
- Alarm Will Sound, a/rhythmia
- Onitsuka Chihiro, DOROTHY
- Shiina Ringo, Sanmon Gossip
- Tomosaka Rie, Toridori.
- mono, Hymn to the Immortal Wind
- Wendy & Lisa, White Flags of Winter Chimneys
- Sacha Sacket, Hermitage
Other favorites from the year:
- Office, Mecca
- Kronos Quartet, Floodplain
- The Bad Plus joined by Wendy Lewis, For All I Care
- Utada, This Is the One
In explaining the dearth of new releases on this list, I mentioned that I spent more time listening to catalog music, but like 2012 and 2011, I haven’t picked any more titles from 2009 in the 9 years that have passed.
It makes me think it wasn’t a terribly interesting time for discovery.
Tags: alarm will sound, and you will know us by the trail of dead, favorite edition, kronos quartet, leo imai, mono, office, onitsuka chihiro, rewind, sacha sacket, shiina ringo, the bad plus, tomosaka rie, utada hikaru, van tomiko, wendy and lisa