A decade ago, I wrote a series of entries ranking my favorite albums from 1985 to 2004. My collection has expanded greatly since then, particularly in the last five years. So I wanted to see what has changed in 10 years.
1990 has always felt more like 1989 v.2.0 than 1990 v.1.0. It was clearly the start of a pivot that wouldn’t really end till 1992, but the ’80s held its grip on that first year of the decade (if you’re using a 0-based system.)
- Kronos Quartet, Black Angels
- Robin Holcomb, Robin Holcomb
- John Zorn / Naked City, Naked City
- Midnight Oil, Blue Sky Mining
- Sonic Youth, Goo
- The Waitresses, Best of the Waitresses
- Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Akira Original Soundtrack
- Madonna, I’m Breathless
- The Sundays, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
- Living Colour, Time’s Up
Other favorites from the year:
- Duran Duran, Liberty
- Depeche Mode, Violator
- Deee-Lite, World Clique
- Enigma, MCMXC a.D.
- Meredith Monk, Book of Days
- Joan Tower, Silver Ladders / Island Prelude / Music for Cello and Orchestra / Sequoia
- Uncle Tupelo, No Depression
- Jane’s Addiction, Ritual de lo Habitual
- Fugazi, Repeater
- Information Society, Hack
- Björk, Gling-Gló
- Wendy and Lisa, Eroica
- Lisa Stansfield, Affection
- Sinéad O’Connor, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got
1990-me would have protested the inclusion of Uncle Tupelo on this list. 1995-me would have had to slap some sense into him.
1990-me would have also questioned the addition of Lisa Stansfield, and 2008-me would have had to confront him about how he secretly loved “All Around the World.”
1990-me would have also wondered why 2008-me didn’t include Jane’s Addiction the first time around. 2008-me would have shrugged.
I would like to think 2008-me relished introducing 1990-me to Fugazi. 1990-me would not have been prepared for them, however.
All of us are still wondering how I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got manages to stay on the list.
Tags: bjork, deee-lite, depeche mode, duran duran, enigma, favorite edition, fugazi, geinoh yamashirogumi, information society, jane's addiction, joan tower, john zorn, kronos quartet, lisa stansfield, living colour, madonna, meredith monk, midnight oil, naked city, rewind, robin holcomb, sinead o'connor, sonic youth, the sundays, the waitresses, uncle tupelo, wendy and lisa